Friday, November 2, 2012

The Shot that was Heard Around the World

I'm a huge Star Wars fan. 

Hurricane Sandy had largely bypassed Northern Virginia, so Tuesday I had a free day to work on the novel.  I was plucking away when I check facebook and see "Disney Buys Lucasfilm" posts going crazy.  First I'm thinking this is a prank.

Then slowly I realize it's not.  George Lucas sold to Disney for $4 billion dollars.  Which you figure if Disney releases one movie they'll probably make a good chunk of that back in movie revenues alone. 

Another thing that started going around was that there will be a new Star Wars movie in 2015.  Of course my fangirl self was going GRAND AMDIRAL THRAWN BABY!!!!

Then of course those hopes were dashed immediately.  Disney said no, we're not going to do any of the books for SW 7. 

For those Star Wars fans who haven't read the books, Heir to the Empire featured three books written by Timothy Zahn.  Zahn is an amazing sci-fi author.  He created a villian that you kind of routed for and he also created the stunning Mara Jade.  She's tough like Princess Leia, but she's a bad girl.  Plus I mean red heads are awesome. 

I think Disney really should consider creating Zahn's books into movies.  The amount of fans that love these books and these characters is evident in how Timothy Zahn's facebook page blew up after the news. 

If I were a casting director I'd cast Michael Fassbender as Thrawn.  I love that man and seeing him in blue makeup and red glowing eyes, woooo.  Wow that'd be hot.  As for Mara Jade.  I don't know.  Someone joked and said Scarlett Johansen and I nearly gagged.  Maybe Emma Stone, but nah I don't like that either.  Or that chick from Hunger Games. 

I'm happy there will be more Star Wars movies.  I just hope the movies don't kill some of the better novels.  I could live without the Youghan Vahn plotline. I hated it.  I hate it so much I'm not going to google the correct spelling.  That's what killed my reading desire was those books. 

::dreams of Thrawn live action::

No comments:

Post a Comment