Sunday, November 11, 2012

NMMC Banquet & Volunteer Appreciation

I'm a volunteer docent at the National Museum of the Marine Corps.  I started the program in late May and "graduated" in Julyish.  I have to say it's been a very rewarding experience.  There is an Iwo Jima vet there named Frank Matthews and his stories are pure amazing.

Volunteers get free tickets for themselves and a guest.  I asked one of my good friends if she wanted to attend.  I figure it would be a fun event and it was.  Guests got free beer/wine and dinner.  The food was good.  Their chef made some incredible potatoes.  I love me some potatoes.  :)  Chicken was pretty good.

For those who aren't familiar with the Marine Corps.  The Marines were formed on 10 Nov 1775.  They have a very long and illustrious history.  Marines are very proud and they have every right to be.  There is an adage "Once a Marine.  Always a Marine."

When they cut the cake they always recognize the oldest Marine and the youngest Marine in attendance that night.  Last night the oldest Marine was born in 1916!

I brought my good friend Star as my date.  I figure we don't get to see each other very often since she got laid off and she's always up for a good night of fun.  She was the perfect date.  We started dancing once the music got a little more exciting.  AT first they catered to the older folks.

The Museum has a large population of retired Marines.  A lot of the retirees volunteer their time.  There are younger volunteers, high school, college aged kids, but I think I'm one of the few late 20 year olds.  I think there is another chick and maybe a few guys in other departments.

A lot of them were recognized for their hours they have donated.  Some folks logged in as much as 2,500 hours.  Frank Matthews the Iwo vet I think they said logged over 900 hours in one year.

Cake cutting ceremony.
Then we started dancing.  The gentleman pictured was dancing all night long.  He wore out his guests.  His wife came up to us later and said I'm so glad you two were dancing with him.  I asked her does he ever run out of energy?  She was like no, not really.  He definitely was having a blast.  He was a retired Marine.  He asked the DJ to play MC Hammer.  Fun times.

DJ of coursed played Gangnam Style.  I figured more people would be dancing, but apparently we were like only 4 girls dancing to it.  I knew it kind of, and my friend learned all the dance moves.  She was like there were people video taping us.  I'm like oh no!  Oh well!




No comments:

Post a Comment