Sunday, November 4, 2012

Air & Scare 2012

Every year the Air & Space Museum in Chantilly, VA hosts the Air & Scare.  It's a trick or treating event held for the kids.  This was my second year going to the event as a "squire" for the 501st.

Now what is the 501st you ask?

501st is a costuming group of Star Wars villains.  http://www.501st.com/  They go around helping non-profit and charity events, go to kids hospitals, and do good in the universe.  I heard about this in high school.  Ever since then I wanted to join.  Now my costume was ordered last Sept and I'm still waiting on it.  The lady I commissioned from apparently had a huge back order.  I'm patient, but I really hope to join soon.

But it was so fun to squire.  I got there at 2 and I immediately was sent to help the group of stormtroopers that was wandering around the facility.  The funniest moment came when a little boy dressed as Hawkeye looked at me and one of the Stormtroopers and shot his 3 arrows at us.  I saw later they took them away from him.

I also helped with the Tatooine set up.  It's really funny seeing not only the children's reaction but the adults.  Not everyone loves Star Wars, but it's amazing how much a simple movie can affect someone's life.

After the event we all crowd into Red Robins for dinner.  It was very tasty.  A very good troop.  I can't wait to actually start trooping.  Fingers crossed she'll have it done soon.    

No comments:

Post a Comment