Sunday, December 8, 2013

Patrick Clinic

Last month my trainer came down to teach us one last time before he headed for Florida.  Patrick Tigchelaar is an excellent trainer.  I haven't had much chance to take very many lessons from him this year, due to other goals and budget constraints.  But I signed up for a 2 day clinic.

A lot of non-horse folks ask me, "why do you take lessons, don't you know how to ride?"  Well I do.  But riders should always strive to better themselves.  I have flaws in my riding that effect my horse.  We're a pair and my issues effect hers and visa versa.  My mare is built downhill which means her hind quarters are higher than her withers (peak of her shoulders).  My bad back and previous hunter/jumping makes me want to lean forward, which puts her on her forehand.

Patrick I would never say is a teacher that nit picks on the rider.  He kind of nit picks the whole picture.  But this weekend he really was focusing on me, because 1/2 her issues are me.  My bad back combined with her build sometimes we get all wonky.

It was two great days.  Really got her to be light in the bridle and really worked on getting me to sit back and keep my left arm which has a tendency to poke out.  And now that she's not a young horse I need to keep my hands forward and not so much giving rein.

It's a never ending process.  But hopefully we'll be able to do 1st level at the licensed shows next year and maybe 2nd.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment