Sunday, October 21, 2012

A New Start

Nerds, Horses & USA!  ;) Git Er Dun!

 There are two things that my friends know about me; I love horses and I love the nerd culture. I had two different blogs my livejournal and my equestrian blogspot, but I decided to just combine them into one.

I've ridden horses for over 16 years. My formal education began at some backyard barn stable were I got two lessons. That summer was deathly hot and so I wasn't there for very long. My middle school librarian Ms. Eby owned an Arabian gelding and she was my idol. Not only did she have horses, but she was the librarian the keeper of the books! She encouraged me to start riding at Quantico Marine Corps Base Stable.
 
Sixteen years later I have owned two horses, managed horse shows, been involved with the VA equestrian community, won numerous awards, ridden western pleasure, speed, hunter, jumpers, side saddle, and currently ride dressage. My current horse is a 9 year old Appaloosa mare named Revs GoGo Dancer, but her barn name is Lilly.

Now another facet of my life is nerdism. When I first saw Star Wars as a little girl I was deathly afraid. The aliens in the cantina scene scared me. It wasn't until I was a little older probably 5th grade when I got hooked on Star Wars. In middle school my friends and I could recite the entire film. I wore a Princess Leia costume to school. My buns were destroyed when I ran to the bus that day.  The things you remember as a child.  I'm an aspiring 501st member.  My Imperial Officer uniform has been forever ordered.  I'm patient but I can't wait for it to finally come in.  Sigh.  

But if you really want to be technical I was probably already a nerdy kid when we lived in Japan.
There I was exposed to kaiju. “Strange beast” in Japanese. Most people know of them as Godzilla type films. Why did Kaiju films not scare me while Star Wars aliens did, who knows. But I love Godzilla and I love Ultraman. There is something about the cheesiness about them that I just find so endearing.

My other nerdisms will reveal themselves over the course of the blog.

Of course this blog is going to share my stories and other ramblings of my mind. I don't expect a great following, but if you have fun reading, then thanks!

My other blogs if you're keen:
This blog is for 501st or anybody wanting to know information on how to use equestrian boots for costume purposes.
This is my sushi review blog. I review various sushi places in the Northern VA & DC area primarily.   

No comments:

Post a Comment