Monday, June 17, 2013

My conversation with my mare

Sometimes when I’m lazy I ride bareback.  The whole extra 10 minutes of putting on tack seems so taxing sometimes.  Mind you it takes more muscles in the body to ride bareback, so this thought process is flawed.  But I enjoy it anyways.
Well yesterday I did my barn chores and I was way too lazy to walk all the way back to the car and get my breeches.  Plus it was getting late so I was like why tack up for a 20 minute hack.  Mind you I’ve been working out so my abs were already in a moody mood. 
I hopped on and off we went.   I don’t usually canter bareback.  I’m a big chicken.  But for whatever reason I was feeling brave and so after we had trotted for a bit I asked for the canter.
Lilly: What?
Me:  I’d like a canter please.
Lilly: Well okay.

Then she cantered like I was a complete beginner, more of a lope.  I asked for a trot.
And then we took a little walk break, switched directions worked on leg yielding and such.  Built my courage back up and asked for a canter again.

Lilly: I don’t think we should do this.
Me: I think I can do it.
Lilly: Well you’re asking wrong and you’re leaning forward.

I adjust myself and ask again.

Lilly: No.
Me: Yes
Lilly: No.
Me: Yes. 
Lilly: Fine. 
She added a crow hop to show that she didn’t like this plan.

Then we trucked along with her cantering normally.  She has a big canter for a 15.2 little mare.  Then we went back to the trot.  We did a little more trot work and then I decided I called it a day.

Mares always have to tell you their opinions in life.  But that’s what makes them so fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment